Marriage Licenses


  • Both applicants should appear at the County Clerk’s office to apply for a marriage license.
  • Applicants who are 17 or 18 years of age must provide a notarized consent form, signed by the applicant’s parent or legal guardian/custodian, giving consent to the marriage. If the individual giving consent is a legal guardian or custodian, a document must be presented reflecting the relationship to the minor. If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued in the State of Nebraska.
  • Applicants must present one form of identification, such as a driver’s license, photo ID, or passport, which contains the name, date of birth, and recognizable photograph.
  • Applicants must provide their birthplaces, including city and state or foreign country.
  • Applicants must provide their parents’ names, including mother’s maiden name, and parents’ birthplaces, including city and state or foreign country.
  • Applicants must provide Social Security numbers, if they have one. Applicants who do not have Social Security numbers must complete a form provided by the County Clerk verifying that they do not have a Social Security number.
  • The fee for a marriage license is $25.00.
  • The marriage license expires one year from the issuance date. A marriage can be performed in any county in the State of Nebraska, regardless of which county issued the marriage license.
  • If either of the applicants is divorced, the couple must wait six months after the divorce decree is final to re-marry in the State of Nebraska.

The below link will allow you to download a copy of the marriage license application worksheet:


To obtain a photocopy or certified copy of a marriage license issued in Madison County you must provide the following information:

  • $1.00 for a photocopy or $9.00 for a certified copy
  • Maiden name of the bride and name of the groom
  • Date of marriage

Requests for copies should be mailed to: Madison County Clerk
P.O. Box 290 Madison, Nebraska 68748-0290

Questions should be directed to the Madison County Clerk’s office at (402) 454-3311, Ext. 136 or via EMAIL.